A facial steam helps hydrate the skin rids it of impurities. It is one of the best ways to clean your pores and release the toxins it contains.
- Boil three cups of water and pour into a bowl.
- Add a few drops of Lavender, Sweet Orange or Ylang Ylang essential oil (use Eucalyptus if you're feeling a little stuffed up)
- Take a towel and create a tent over your head and shoulders.
- Hold your head close to the bowl, close your eyes and breath in deeply. Be careful not to get too close to the bowl - you don't want to scald yourself!
- Keep your face in the steam tent for about 5 minutes.
- Rinse your face with cool water.
- Follow with an astringent (for example, witch hazel) to
close the pores.
The amount of water in the surface of the skin is tracked by these vellum hair follicles. When you are giving your face a fine mist of moisture with your facial steam, the vellum (fine hair follicles on the surface of your skin that act as sensors) sends a temporary message to your brain that there is indeed enough water on the surface of the skin. When this signal is sent, the oil in your pores is extracted.
Return from FACIAL STEAM page to HOMEMADE BEAUTY RECIPES page